The burpee is a full body exercise -- and I have to say; one of my favourite ones to both do myself and also to give other people!! You can just use your own bodyweight with this exercise (no extra gadgets) and get your heart rate right up there!
It is executed like this:
1. Begin standing
2. Squat down and put your hands on the ground in front of you.
3. Jump your feet back in one motion so you are in a plank position.
4. Jump your feet back in one motion so you are back in the squat position.
5. Jump up with your arms extended above your head. Try and jump as high as possible.
6. Repeat this as fast as you can over and over!!
As with any exercise you can modify it to make it easier or harder depending on your fitness level/injuries.
Taking it down.
1. Instead of jumping your legs back - walk them out and in.
2. Put your hands on a bench or step so you are not down on the ground.
3. Instead of jumping up - stand up and perhaps do a calf raise.
Taking it up.
1. You can add a push up while you are in the plank position.
2. You can turn the jump at the end into a tuck jump, or jump up onto a step, or over something.
3. You can hold weights or wear a weighted vest while you perform the exercise.
4. You can perform the entire exercise using only one arm or one leg.
5. Instead of the jump at the end you can do a chin up.
Vary it a little.
1. Jump forward or sideways instead of up at the end.
2. Do star jumps instead of jumping up.
3. Try doing Burpee intervals -- 30 sec of burpees / 30 sec of boxing. Start off with 2 min rounds and work your way up to 3min rounds.