People have been having problems posting comments. Please feel free to leave posts on my Facebook page, or send me a private message via facebook. Sorry! I am not sure what the problem is. (The link is to the right of this page - just below!)


Sunday, September 26, 2010

Music + Exercise = Better Results!!


Gabriella Cilmi - On a mission (&& lyrics)
"I am a women on a mission, nothing can stop me I'm stronger than ever, I'm gonna see this through... I am a women on a mission, whatever it takes I will do what I gotta do... I'll never give up, I'll never give up I'm on a mission"...
This song has just become my new running song!! It is SO motivational and true for me!!

There has been lots of research done on the fact that you work harder and keep going for longer if you are exercising to music which you enjoy!! Studies have shown having enjoyable upbeat music on while you exercise can result in your perceived exertion (how hard you think your working) being heaps lower and your endurance (amount of time you can go for) being much longer.

When absorbed in music, your focus changes from what your body is experiencing to the music you’re hearing. This situation leads you to ignore negative feelings of fatigue and focus on the pleasurable feelings you get from following the music. It helps break the monotony of exercise and provide a distraction from the physical exertion.

When exercising to music, many people automatically match the speed of their movement to the tempo and rhythm of the song that's playing. If you want to go hard - get upbeat music.. If you are trying to relax (i.e. pilaties) then go with slower music.

Listening to music you like also helps with motivation because you’re more likely to return and do the exercise again. Listening to songs that you enjoy increases exercise adherence, which in turn leads to fitness gains over time.

So get some music happening (that you personally really enjoy) while you work out and you will increase your enjoyment of exercise, the intensity you can work out at and the length of time you can keep going for!!

Gabriella Cilmi's 'on a mission' is my new running favorite; but personally I always to find it amusing to be "Running to paradise" with the choirboys; "Dancing with myself" with Billy Idol; "Jumping" with Van Halen and singing along in the "Funhouse" by Pink!!! :-)

Other songs which I love running to include:
"Better" - The screaming jets
"We weren't born to follow" - Bon Jovi
"This is who I am" - Vanessa Amerosi
"Eye of the tiger" - Survivor
"Girls just want to have fun" - Cyndi Lauper
"Sex on fire" - Kings of Leon
"Teenage dream" - Katy Perry
"The look" - Roxette
"All fired up" - Pat Benatar

Couple of resources: (there are heaps if you google it though).
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Music-and-Fitness-5-Ways-Music-Enhances-Your-Workout.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78018

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33418663

No comments:

Post a Comment